Legal Counsel / Senior Legal Counsel
North Sydney | Permanent | Full-time
We're hiring Legal Counsel / Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal team. You'll be advising business units on the relevant areas of law applicable including financial services law, corporations law, privacy, employment law, property and AML/CTF matters.
At Monoova, we are all about freeing businesses to scale. That is why we have designed world-class, bank-grade, global payment solutions to allow businesses to do what they do best. Since our start in 2017, we have been leading the payments innovation in Australia by delivering scalable solutions to businesses. Helping businesses to automate how they receive, manage and pay funds is our Monoova mission. Our clients are among some of the most innovative companies around, whilst building partnerships with ethical entrepreneurs is part of our expansion strategy. Our commitment is to make money move as fast as our clients grow - with passion for excellent product to sustain the digital economy of the future.
As we are rapidly growing and expanding, we are on looking for tremendous talent to join the Monoova movement.
Empathy – we take care to understand the perspective of everyone in our ecosystem – our clients, our partners, our colleagues and our shareholders. It is how we create and nurture relationships
Integrity – We are a company built on integrity. Both inside and outside of our organisation, we are known for being honest, trustworthy and transparent in the way we do everything
Performance – We are an outcome focused organisation with a commitment to technology. Every single one of us are experts at what we do
Innovation – Individually and as a team, we are proactive innovators. Tomorrow, we will be better than we are today. That’s what makes tomorrow fun
In this role, you’ll be:
- Advising business units on the relevant areas of law applicable including financial services law, corporations law, privacy, employment law, property and AML/CTF matters.
- Preparing responses and formulating resolutions in relation to disputes. Preparing and reviewing documents prior to production, to ensure compliance of subpoenas and other notices
- Prepare and present legal specific education and training sessions for relevant staff.
- Leading regulatory change and strategic initiatives.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various agreements and deeds including confidentiality agreements, license agreements, data agreements, service providers or outsourcing agreements and client terms relating to our financial products and services.
- Reviewing marketing materials and advising on IP issues.
- Creating/maintaining legal precedents and templates, and reviewing certain registers and policies/procedures as required
- Responsible for ongoing contract management.
- Preparing and reviewing external requests for information, including correspondence with regulators.
- Assisting and running projects and product launches, including the preparation of client facing documentation.
- Collaborating closely with business units (including Growth, Client Success and/or Product teams) in the context of commercial contract negotiations.
- Advising and assisting on corporate governance matters and, assisting in company secretarial matters.
- Conducting research into, and advising on, new areas of law that may be applicable to the business and its initiatives.
- Assist with company secretarial matters as necessary.
What we need from you:
- Excellent client facing skills and strong commercial acumen
- Proficient technical and drafting skills
- Experience in working as part of a team, with the ability to build effective internal and external relationships
- Excellent attention to detail, intellectual curiosity and strong analytical skills with the ability to provide practical advice relating to complex regulatory matters
- Stakeholder management skills
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and issues from start to finish
- Leadership skills, and ability to guide and mentor junior lawyers
- Ability to work both collaboratively and individually
What we need from you:
Although specific skills are preferable, we are open to hear from people with varying backgrounds.
- Admitted legal practitioner with 5+ years of post-qualification experience.
- Strong understanding of regulatory requirements within financial services.
- Ability to take ownership of complex and ambiguous problems.
- Strong stakeholder engagement, teamwork, and project management capabilities.
- You will have a strong knowledge of financial services laws, laws relating holders of Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL), Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Law and Regulation. You should also have demonstrated experience in dealing with regulatory bodies, such as ASIC and AUSTRAC and advising on compliance programs.
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, communication and stakeholder engagement skills.
- The ability to build strong relationships and effectively influence internal and external stakeholders.
- A mix of Law firm experience and in-house experience (including experience within fintech, high growth tech or high-volume financial services businesses) is highly regarded
Monoova Culture and Benefits
- Hybrid working arrangement so you can enjoy more flexibility.
- Short-term incentive program to thank our employees for all their hard work and dedication.
- Birthday leave, because why would you want to work on your birthday!
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary carers, so you get extra time with your newborn and to recover.
- Annual IT allowance - for all your personal IT needs.
- Culture valuing career progression and development.
- After hours travel and meal allowance. We understand work doesn’t always end at 5pm, so we want to ensure you are well feed and safe when putting in the extra hours.
- Monthly team engagement events to promote a fun, dynamic and supportive team culture.
- Employee Assistance Program to ensure your wellbeing is key!